Saturday, July 07, 2007

Yangshou

They refer to Yangshou as a a back packers paradise and that it certainly is.



The scenery in this part of China is breathtaking and we went on a fantastic bike ride to Fuli village on one of the mornings we were there. I really enjoyed the little excursion and have made up my mind to purchase myself a bike when I get home. It's a cool way to get around.



We also attended a chinese cookery school which was great fun. We learned how to stuff pumpkin flowers, cook egg plant, make beer fish (fish cooked in beer a local delicacy) and chicken with cashew nuts. I have a recipe book and plan to practice more of this type of cooking when I get back.



We also witnessed the ritual beheading and preparing of snake meat for dinner. Now I know not everyone would be into this and I didn't think I would be either, but one thing I've learned on this trip is that food is food whatever way it comes and it all has it's merits. I drew the line at drinking snake blood though. That was a step too far for me.



We also tried our hand at Chinese painting which was very relaxing. That combined with some accupuncture put me in a very relaxed frame of mind for our last overnight train to Hong Kong.

No comments: