Monday, July 16, 2007

Turning Japanese I really think so...

Yeah I know a predictable post title but I could`t resist it!

So we`re now officially out of China. We landed in Tokyo this afternoon after a very pleasant flight with Cathay Pacific and are lucky enough to have missed the Typhoon that was threatening to strike Tokyo over the weekend, I think we`re out of danger here now! However I did notice on the train into the city from the airport that there were delays to some trains due to an earthquake! We don`t get interesting stuff like this happening to us in Ireland so it`s a whole new world of experience for this Travelling Trixi! Bring it on I say so long as nobody gets hurt.

We`re here in Japan for the next two weeks it`s expensive so we`re on budget rations but that`s ok we`re not complaining. I haven`t seen anything of Tokyo to report yet apart from the fact that every person we met has been very friendly and helpful and everyone seems to have a word of English which is helpful!

Once agin we encountered difficulties with uploading photos in Hong Kong so I`ll just have to keep trying!

We had a ball there though. Once we got over the tiredness that comes with travelling for a protracted period of time we really got into the swing of the city. The museums are amazing and I especially would recommend the Science Museum which had this big kid running around pressing buttons and getting all interactive with the scientific stuff. It was very cool.

I also loved the Star Ferry tour of Victoria Harbour. We took the 6.00p.m. boat and it was perfect. The sun was setting and the sky, the water in the harbour and the waterfront buildings were all bathed in a beautiful red glow. The weather was balmy to hot and the breeze was a blessing as it came over the water. It was incredibly relaxing and beautiful and definately another thing to recommend. Also the walk around the Peak is something to savour. The views are incredible and even in the heat it was a very pleasant way to spend an hour.

The other side of Hong Kong is of course the shopping. And boy can you shop if you want to drop. I loved the night markets on Temple road, the bargaining was hard but there were good souvenirs and gifts to be got there if you were up for the challenge. There was also a constant queue outside Louis Vuitton in Tim Shui Tsai which puzzled and amused us in equal measure! Why do people bother? That`s a rhetorical question I really don`t care why people waste their time in such ways! But the sheer pointlessness amused me!

So now we`re in Tokyo. I`m going to miss China a lot I know but I am looking forward to travelling in Japan over the next two weeks. I hope I fall in love with this country as completely as I fell in love with China...

No comments: